About Us


In 1954 Ed and Ruth McDevitt had a dream of establishing the first full-scale restaurant and cocktail lounge in the newly developing turnpike interchange area north of Bedford.  While the McDevitts were well-known in the local business community, some predicted their dream was too risky and would quickly turn to failure.

Spending $100,000 on the state-of-the-art building, and opening in the “off-season”, away from historic downtown Bedford, seemed to others a recipe for disaster.  But on November 9, 1954, Mr. and Mrs. McDevitt watched their dream come to fruition and opened the doors to Ed’s Steak House.  Through the years, Ed’s has been a popular dining spot for local patrons and travelers alike, many making a point of stopping for a great meal even if just passing through town.

Proudly-family owned and operated for 67 years, Ed’s Steak House closed its doors for the final time on January 2, 2022. We could not have experienced so many wonderful years of business in Bedford County without our many loyal patrons & dedicated employees through the years. We leave behind many valued business associations, special friendships, and cherished memories formed around our dining room tables.